Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Characters in To Kill a Mockingbird

 
To Kill a Mockingbird is an enjoyable   novel to read, and to be studied.  Apart from being a must for my students to read, I am very happy to know that most of them, or should I say all of them enjoy the story.  To me, what makes teaching a wonderful job is not due to its monetary returns, but to see the students' reactions, understanding and participation in class. The satisfaction comes when you see them doing the tasks you ask them to do out of their own free will, not being forced on them. At first I had doubts as to whether this novel will ever attract my ES kids, and now I know all of them have benefited from the novel in more than one way. These are some of the students' ideas presented about the similarities and differences between some of the characters in TKAM. (Credits should be given to Yeoh Shyi Kuan, Nursheila, Arika Wira, Desi Susanti, Nuraishah and Jason Anon)



COMPARISON
BOB EWELL
WALTER CUNNINGHAM
Poor white
His family live as guests in prosperity, live with charity money. (Page 227)
Shown when he doesn’t have any money to prepared lunch to bring to school. (Page 26)
Hate blacks
He accuses Tom Robinson of raping his daughter and has him thrown into jail.
He  joins the mob who intends to lynch Tom Robinson when he is in the jail before the trial.
Live on dirty environment
Lives behind the town garbage dump (Page 227)
He has hookworms because he wears no shoes (Page 25)

Characteristics
Miss Maudie Atkinson
Mrs. Henry Lafayette Dubose
·          Lives across the street from the Finch's. 
·         She is about the same age as Atticus' brother, Uncle Jack Finch. They grew up together at Finch's Landing.
·         Her father was a neighboring landowner. His name was Dr. Frank Buford.
·         She is a Baptist, but she isn't very religious.
·         Jem and Scout's neighbour whose house the children have to pass in order to go to tow
·         She is a morphine addict
·         Prejudiced against the Blacks
·         Main appearance is in chapter 11
Similarities

Both neighbours are interested in what is going on within the Finch Family (Atticus)
Differences
·         Treats the children with respect

-       She never laughed at me unless I meant to be funny...pg 307

·         Doesn’t show any respect to the others.

-       “Don’t you say hey to me, you ugly girl!
Pg 133

·         Understand the children and Atticus/ symbol of understanding

-       Miss Maudie’s hand closed tightly on mine and I said nothing. Its warmth was enough..pg 308
-        
-       ...if Atticus Finch drank until he was drunk he wouldn’t be as hard as some men are at their best...pg 60
·         
A Social definition of a 'lady' to Scout
-       Able to bake cakes, understand people
-       “That ain’t right, Miss Maudie. You’re the best lady I know.”
-       ….but after her five o’clock bath she would appear on the porch and reign over the street in magestrial beauty. Pg 56

·         Brave/ symbol of bravery

-       According to her views, she died beholden to nothing and nobody. She was the bravest person I ever knew..
pg 149
·         Loves to say good words and gives advice

-       .... that’s why it’s sin to kill a mockingbird.. pg 119

·         Yells at the children

-       “Don’ you lie to me!” she yelled.pg 135

·         The children love her and she allows them to come to her place and play
-       She treats them with cakes.
-       She was our friend. Pg. 59
·         The children do not want to even pass her house
-       Previous minor encounters with her left me with no desire for more,… Pg. 132
·         Hold no prejudice/anti-racist
-       She does not go to the trial because she says it's a "Roman carnival". (The Romans would gather and watch a Christian being slaughtered and torn to pieces by wild animals. They knew that the Christians had no chance of survival, and watched it as an entertainment. They would cheer when the Christian was torn to pieces.)
-       “I am not. ‘t’s morbid, watching a poor devil on trial for his life. look at all those folks, it’s like a Roman carnival.” Pg. 213
·         Racist
-       “Your father’s no better than the niggers and trash he works for!” Pg. 135



Jack Finch
Alexandra Hancock (Aunt Alexandra)
Humble

“He was one of the few men of science who never terrified me, probably because he never behaved like a doctor” (page 103)
Arrogant
“Put my beg in the front bedroom, Calpurnia”, was the first thing Aunt Alexandra said.” (page 169)
Equality
“I’ve no intention of letting it go,”
“But I don’t like Francis getting away with something like that-“ (Jack Finch, page 114)
Unfair
“I told him in detail about our church with Calpurnia. Atticus seemed to enjoy it, but Aunt Alexandra, who was sitting in a corner quietly sewing, put down her embroidery and stared at us.”
You may not.”
Scout and Jem likes Jack’s influence
“You’re real nice Uncle Jack, an’ I reckon I love you even after what you did…” (Scout, page 113)
Jem and Scout do not welcome her presence.
“Well, your father and I decided it was time I came to stay with you for a while.
“For a while in Maycomb meant anything from three days to thirty years. Jem and I exchanged glances (page 169)
Similarity: both don’t really understand children as compared to Atticus
“You’re real nice Uncle Jack, an’ I reckon I love you even after what you did, but you don’t understand children much” (page 113)
“And you don’t try to get around it. You’ve got to face it sooner or later and it might as well be tonight. We don’t need her now.” (page 182)
“Besides I don’t think the children’ve suffered one bit…” (page 183)



No comments:

Post a Comment